Sunday, January 22, 2006

Koufax Awards

MBW at Wampum has done a good thing with the Koufax awards. A hundred and twenty or so nominees for Best New Blog have been listed but comments, where voting takes place, will not be turned on right away to encourage people to read some of the nominees before voting. What an idea: get to know the candidates before voting.

I love to surf for new blogs and I spend way too much time at it. Any award process forces me to think about what constitutes a good "whatever." I started at the bottom of the alphabetical list of Koufax nominees.
  • The name should give me some idea of whether or not I might find anything of interest (I know "Five Wells" is nothing to write home about but it's mine and I'm sticking with it.)
  • If your raison d'etre is linking to Kos, don't bother. We already know where he is.
  • If you've been blogging for more than a month and your sidebar still includes "Google News" and "Edit-Me" you're really not trying hard enough.
  • It may seem self-evident, but you've got to have something to say to qualify as a "Best" of anything.

Having only worked back from the bottom to the S's, the only ones I've bookmarked are Stayin' Alive and Scout Prime.

More later. The sun's shining and I've got to get outside. Quick. It's the tyranny of good weather. Take a look at TroutGrrl's post about the second cloudiest city. Thanks to Feministe and the Carnival of Feminists.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Okay, Mary Ann, you asked for it!

1. Regarding the names of blogs, and particularly yours: To me, “Five Wells” is an alluring title that makes me want to explore what exactly is there. Just the word “wells” connotes something connected to nature, or a wellspring of life. "Wells" are often located in a pristine, caring-about-the-land-and-its-resources environment. And “wells” are related to depth; in your case, depth of thought. So yeah, stay with it. It’s YOU; it's befitting for you.

2. An intriguing concept: Get to know the candidates before voting. Love the way you pointed that out!

Mary Ann said...

Thanks, Darlene. That's exactly how I feel about "Five Wells." I didn't make it up. It was the name of my property before I lived here 'cause of the five hand-dug, spring fed wells from early American times. I keep thinking I'll make up something about wells of wisdom, hope etc. But, for now, I'll leave it to readers' imagination.