Monday, September 19, 2005

Birds

I don't see how I can carry binoculars all the time, but it's so frustrating not to have them when I see something unusual. Just now when I went out to hang up the laundry, two birds took off from the poplar tree at the edge of the yard. My first impression was "very big raptors." But I don't think raptors should make so much noise taking off. The poplar tree would be a great outlook over the adjoining field of overgrown scotch pine, blow down and sapling hardwoods. They're definitely raptor shape. They circled overhead for several minutes 'til I decided to go get binoculars. I swear it only took a few seconds. But when I came back I couldn't find them. After a few minutes I saw them circling, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile east. The more I think of the choices, the more I doubt everything I thought I saw. I'd say they were bigger than red-tailed hawks (not to mention - no red tail). I would have said the size of a raven but light colored. I give up.

No comments: