Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tomatoes, Datura and Beetles

Yes, tomatoes are starting to ripen. And, sure enough, the Wayaheads were the first full size tomatoes ready. And this year's new variety is the Black Cherry - not truly black, but pretty dark. And, of course, the Snow Whites aren't really white but pale yellow.





This Datura is one of my favorite flowers. They're five or six inches across. The huge buds take their time opening dramatically over two days.


And I found this critter on it. The trick here is to ignore the brown stuff on top. That is apparently feces and shed skins. The flat, oval, leaf-green, thing underneath is a Tortoise Beetle larva. I don't know what species, but some commonly feed on eggplant. Datura is related to eggplant and the leaves look very much the same.

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh your 'maters are gorgeous and I love datura! Your thimd is so green this year!

Anonymous said...

I can't for the life of me find an email address for you. Just want to let you know that I'll be posting a story about the retirement documentary on Thursday, 30 August...