Friday, June 23, 2006

Foxglove

Foxglove has been the star of the woodland garden the past week or so. For scale, those trees are twelve inches or more in diameter and the tallest Foxglove is about five feet tall. I'm developing a pretty good list of things apparently unaffected by deer and/or the toxic root hormone of Black Walnut. Well, the list is pretty short: Barberry, Forsythia, Daffodil, Peony, Centaurea and Foxglove. The list of things at risk is much, much longer.

My success with deer repellent has made me somewhat bold this year and I'm growing lilies outside the confines of the electric fenced area. And foxtail lilies (Eremurus) - I'll never know for sure if they're tempting to deer 'cause I've been spraying them with repellent regularly. They'll be upstaging the foxglove next week.

No comments: