Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Website Advertising

I have honestly never before clicked on an ad on any website. But I couldn't resist this one this morning. Why Mommy Is a Democrat.
In the true spirit of Heather Has Two Mommies here's a child's eye view of a political issue. From my adult viewpoint, this is really amusing - the nurturing, protective mommy squirrel making sure "we all share our toys" and "children can go to school." I want someone to write the counterpart: Why Daddy Is a Republican.

But the thought of reading this to a toddler feels pretty sleezy. While Heather Has Two Mommies and books like it are about breaking down stereotypes, Why Mommy Is a Democrat is all about stereotypes. I think it's a great idea to teach children - and adults - about Democratic values. But I'm pretty tired of the black hat/white hat view of the world.

Still, I want this book for Christmas. No, wait. Wouldn't it look great in Maggy's stocking?

3 comments:

Maggy said...

I think you should write your own version of it for my stocking...

Anonymous said...

If you are going to give this to a child, why not adjoin it with a Stephen King novel, too?

Dan Trabue said...

I prefer my sermons a bit less "sermon-y" than that book looks to be. I'm with Maggy: writing your own book sounds like a great idea!