Monday, March 10, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Well, the main problem is there's no way I'm gonna get the carton to close. Seven of these eggs are "normal" jumbo eggs: 2.5 ounces each. The trouble maker there in the back is 3.3 ounces.

We've had our share of double yolk eggs over the years. But this is the first triplet I've ever seen. Too bad I broke the yolks. But you get the idea.


In other news, we've been having ice storms on and off for weeks. The radio story was "Power outages across Northeast." But here the headline would have been "Power continues uninterrupted." It really is newsworthy. The lights flickered several times and I was fully prepared for the power to go out. But, no. It stayed on. I've heard from friends on the southern side of town that their power was out. So I feel fortunate. Not that being without power is that much of an inconvenience here. This time of year refrigeration isn't an issue. If I just get that hand pump installed so that I'm not dependant on the electric pump, I'll be fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That huge egg is fascinating. I never saw anything like that and come to think of it, I haven't even seen a double-yolk egg in decades. Does that have something to do with commercially produced eggs, do you think?

Mary Ann said...

Nice to hear from you, Ronni.

Given the breeds that commercial produces use, I don't know whether or not they still get double yolks. But, if they do, they wouldn't find their way into the retail market. Most would be eliminated in the process that sorts them by size (small eggs weigh 18 oz/dozen, medium 21 oz/dozen, large eggs 24 oz/dozen, etc. The rest would be caught when the eggs are "candled" for imperfections. They're viewed with a strong light behind them. Any with blood clots or other imperfections including double yolks would be sold to the baking industry.

I don't candle mine. So, my customers may occasionally get a double yolk, which is fun, or a blood clot, which though unattractive, is harmless.