Friday, February 19, 2021

Sweeping

 I've memorized exactly two poems in my life  - both when I was 13 years old - and I've enjoyed them many, many times since then. Yesterday while I was sweeping I was thinking, "If seven maids with seven mops, swept for half a year, do you suppose," the walrus said, "that they could get it clear?" 

"I doubt it," said the carpenter and shed a bitter tear. 

Sweeping is like that.

I don't think there's anything about lyrics that makes them easier to remember, but they are.  I think it's because every time you sing the song it refreshes the memory. And you probably sing more often than you recite. So, here's a sweeping reference in lyrics. "Last night in my dreams I was stationed forever on a far little rock in the midst of the sea. My one chance of life was a ceaseless endeavor, to sweep off each wave as it swept over me." This is The Housewife's Lament. It's the first song I learned to play on the guitar. 

I want to choose another poem to memorize. Even at my age, I think I can do it. I thought there must be other poems about sweeping, so I googled it. That's a rabbit hole I really can't afford to go down today. There are more than three million hits. I'll just choose something from my favorite book: Favorite Poems Old and New - still in print after sixty years. 

Check back for news of my selection. And thoughts about the other poem I memorized when I was young. 

No comments: