Monday, June 04, 2012

Facts and Logic

We use the Truth-O-Meter to rate the accuracy of political claims.Whether or not you agree with FactCheck or Politfact's ratings, you can learn a lot from their facts and logic - or simply their inclination to look beneath the surface.


Politifact's six ratings, True through False and Pants On Fire, are based on five principles.
  • Words matter. 
  • Context matters. 
  • Burden of proof is on the person making the statement.
  • Statements can be right and wrong. 
  • Timing and information available at the time the statement is made.
I don't know how or where I developed the habit of questioning so much of what I read and hear. But the habit has served me well. And I still believe that if we all had access to facts and good logic, we'd tend to reach similar conclusions. 

No comments: