Thursday, June 02, 2011

Why I Can't Get Enough Work Done


We were replacing the deck last weekend. Late in the afternoon we took a break to admire our progress, "when glancing aside for a moment I spied..." this baby squirrel. I quickly put myself between him and the cats. B wanted me to pick him up but I thought he'd bite me.


No. 


As it turns out he wanted nothing more than to be friends with us. He happily scrambled up B's clothes.

I suppose this means they've lost their mother.



We spent the better part of the next hour trying to get him to go back to his tree (and taking pictures) only to have his sibling join him on the ground.






I really don't think B's going to volunteer as a surrogate - tho' I do think it crossed her mind. 

5 comments:

Maggy said...

Reading this is possibly the best thing to happen to me all year.

Let's get started on names!

KAZ said...

As my grad-school cousin and I were walking in Ithaca many years ago, we came upon a nest of baby squirrels, even littler than yours. He nursed them and kept them in his room for six months, carrying one or another to class on his shoulder (they were great conversation pieces and improved his social life greatly). They thrived, and then he let them go. So it can be done, although it's a lot of work!

Mary Ann said...

I've heard they are good pets. And we were tempted. But it didn't seem practical around four cats.

I'm happy to report that I saw them chasing each other around the treetops this morning.

Maggy's right. We should name them. Then teach the cats we only name animals we're not planning to eat.

Cynthia said...

Love the baby squirrels. Hope you can keep the cats away.

Did you ever get the deck finished?

I like your new blog format. And I think it will let me add comments. I couldn't do that with the other one for some reason.

Mary Ann said...

B finished the deck the next day. She was determined to finish it before she left for Maine.