Saturday, December 01, 2007

Charity

Maggy sent me a link to the New York Times article The Chicken and Rice Man. As she said, "this story actually brought tears to my eyes - it's so nice to read about people who do good things just because."

Jorge Muñoz, who makes $600 a week as a school bus driver, provides a hot meal every night at 9:30 to dozens of hungry, usually homeless, men. He started three years ago delivering eight brown bag snacks of fruit and cookies three times a week. Word spread among the men who needed meals and Jorge's friends who could donate food. Jorge and his mother began making hot meals from the donated food. And so it goes.

What I like about this story is that Jorge didn't start by thinking about how to pay for it, or how to solicit donations or investing in a commercial kitchen. He just started making meals. What I fear is that the NYT publicity will make the whole thing fall apart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm speechless. Being kind to other humans really doesn't take so much from us does it...it doesn't take pomp and circumstance--it really is simple kindness. And remembering that: There, but for the grace of God, go I. Not that I believe in "God" but maybe I could rephrase that so say: There, but for the grace of Goodness, go I.

The twins and I played 'Elves' today... we have an anonymous child to buy Holiday gifts for and my heart was warmed so much at their joy at picking out clothing and toys for this girl that they will never know.