Saturday, June 30, 2007

Life Goes On

I'd hate for my once-a-week readers to show up and find nothing new since last week. Suffice it to say I'm alive and well and hopelessly behind on all the tasks I value in my life.



My best friend from grad school, whom I had not seen for about twenty-five years, visited last week. Here she is with Bill who was her major professor all those years ago.

We had a ball walking in the woods, strolling the commons, wandering around Cornell campus reminiscing, relaxing at home with Wallace and Grommet. After recovering from a life-threatening illness last fall, Carol decided to take this summer off and do some things differently. Frankly, it gave me a different view of life to realize I was on someone's "things to do before I die" list.

I wouldn't trade those few days with Carol for anything. But I must say I neglected a few things. Like spraying deer repellent in the garden. The deer seemed to warn me every day by sampling one more delicacy. And weeding. This is the week purslane takes over the garden. And at least one project at work may have to be jettisoned 'cause the deadline of the next project is encroaching. Oh, well. Moving on.

2 comments:

David Makar said...

Purslane makes a nice addition to a salad! Arjan and I nibbled on some last night between dinner and a campfire.

Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful picture of two souls who look genuinely happy with themselves...if only we all could look like that. And on another note, what the heck is purslane...although I suspect if I could identify it I would be overrun..best I not know.